Louisville is the capital of horse breeding and bourbon, but what people don’t realize are the amazing restaurants located within the area. Here are three Louisville favorites:
Queen of Sheba Restaurant
- (Ethiopian Cuisine)
- 2804 Taylorsville Rd
- Louisville, KY 40257
Serving up a healthy taste of Ethiopia the Queen of Sheba restaurant serves ethnic African meals which use USDA approved meats, fresh local vegetables, organic herbs and spices. Quality and delicious meat dishes are a popular delight, including the beef, chicken, lamb, and fish servings. Popular Queen specials include:
- Gored-Gored – fresh tender beef marinated in awaze sauce (hot and spicy).
- Lega Sega Tips – choice of beef or chicken sautéed with onions, choice of green or jalapeño peppers, fresh tomatoes, garlic and Ethiopian spices in light tomato sauce.
- Vegetarian – vegetarian combination dish
- Shifta Tips – choice of beef, chicken or lamb seared on high flame with red onions, mushroom, green peppers, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Yebeg Tips – fresh lamb sautéed with onions, green peppers, garlic and Ethiopian spices.
Most of the Ethiopian dishes are in a stew consistency of flavorable goodness. The Ethiopian Cuisine dishes are served on large platters which can be shared with family and friends. The ambiance is a colorful ethnic environment. Some good drinks to complement each dish is a delectable Ethiopian honey wine called “Sheba Taj,” or a glass of red and white wines.
- 624 E Market St – NuLu Neighborhood
- Louisville, KY 40202
This James Beard “best new restaurant” is a popular American delight within the east market district of the upscale NuLu neighborhood. The Harvest restaurant serves amazing fares that feature quality local produce, which are grown by skilled farmers whose philosophy involves sustainable practices and quality animal welfare. The impeccable interior design of the Harvest restaurant features wood and materials recycled from local, historic vacant buildings. Each menu is designed to produce inspired seasonal cuisine dishes with farm to bar beverages, which are also made in house from craft beers, local bourbons, and wines.
A special derby inspired menu includes:
- Bourbon-dijon jus
- Smoked blue cheese-bacon grits
- Spinach chard dumplings
- Pork confit, sweet potato puree,
- Bibb salad
- Chocoloate mint mousse
- Strawberry-cabernet semifreddo
- (Asian Vegetarian Fusion)
- Clifton, The Avenue neighborhood
- 2240 Frankfort Ave
- Louisville, KY 40206
Looking for affordable and delicious food, then head to the Zen Garden. The Zen Garden is a part of the quiet Clifton and Crescent Hill neighborhoods, which is why it is housed in a historic Victorian styled house. The chef at the Zen serves crispy crust filled vegetables, bowls of soup ranging from hot and sour soup to tomato dill, curry, vegetable and bean curd. The meals served at the Zen are enjoyed by children and adults alike.
- Cucumber/peanut salad with carrots, tofu, cilantro and celery
- Pad thai rice noodles with veggies and shredded tofu
- Curry sauce eggplant
- Green beans with mock duck
- Stir fry mixed vegetables
If you’re less a vegetarian and straddle between ordering burgers, try the Zen’s veggie sandwich and garden burger.
Dining out in Louisville is a wonderful palatable experience, especially when foods come from local expert farmers who delight in growing the very best.